Sunday, February 3, 2013

My "Not-So-Fabulous" Vacation

I'll bet you'll never guess where I spent the afternoon............if you guessed the emergency room......well unfortunately, you were correct.  Why?  Well, as it turns out, I broke my left wrist (sad face). Ok, I must admit, that's not completely true........to be exact, I "buckle-fractured my distal radius".  Now, you have to admit, that's quite a mouthful.  I dare you to say that three times fast!  I can't even do that, and I'm the one who has a "buckle-fracture of my distal radius"!!!

    Now, how did this injury come about? Well it's kind-of a long story.  My family and I took a vacation to Breckenridge, Colorado with my Grandparents this weekend, and my siblings and I took some snowboarding lessons.  This was our second time taking this vacation, so we already had a little bit of experience in snowboarding.  Each of the three days, we had a lesson.........and let me just tell you, It was a LOT of fun!!!  At the end of today, which was the third day, let's just say it could have turned out more like day #1 or day #2!!!

      On the second to last run of the day, I was practicing my "S", "C", and "J" turns.  I was doing pretty well, and was taking it easy because I have some neck issues.  I started going left, towards a big log fence that separates the trees from the skiing and snowboarding area!!!    Even though I was going towards the left, I was also still going down the mountain, and I soon realized that not to far below was a HUGE metal pole!  I'm talking, BIG!  This pole just so happened to be holding up the ski-lift! It was pretty scary.  I had three choices: fence, pole, OR I could bail and fall on the soft snow.  At that time, the snow seemed the most appealing, and I'm pretty sure it was the best option, don't you agree?  I still had a little bit of room to attempt to turn away before I bailed, just in case.  So, in panic mode, I attempted to do so, and  I turned so sharply that I fell backwards and hit the "soft" snow.  Yeah, right........very "soft".  My hands had been thrown in the air when I fell, and hit the snow REALLY hard!  All I know is that I was hurting like crazy!  Mostly in my left wrist.  My instructor, Soren, was with my little sister, Savannah who was having some trouble with her turns, and because of the wind, instructors yelling to their class, and other random people yelling random things to each other, there was too much noise for me to call Soren to help me.  So, what did I do?  Well, I yelled.  And cried.  Not to Soren.  Not to other instructors.  Not to other skiers.  I just yelled.  What did I yell?  Well, first of all, "OUCH!!"  Then "My Wrist!"  Then "AHHHHHHH!"  And "It hurts!"  I kept doing that for about three or four minutes.  After that I calmed down and stopped yelling, and just cried.

Finally, once I felt calmer, I took off my glove to examine my wrist.  My hands were shaking and it was hard to do, but I managed to get it off.  It wasn't blue, or purple, or seem to be swelling.  Good.  I hoped that nothing serious had happened.  Then, another instructor came up to me to see if I was ok.  I said yes, and told her that Soren was on his way down.  She said ok and left with about a dozen seven or eight year olds trailing behind her.  Soon after, Soren came, helped me up, and took me to a small room on the mountain where I could get some water and he could take a look at my wrist.

Once we got there he looked at it and said it seemed ok and that once we got to the bottom, I didn't have to go down again.  I was past half way, but the steepest part of the run was coming up!  But I tried anyway.  Halfway through it, I got a bad feeling.  I couldn't even get up on my board without help!  My wrist was killing me!  I stopped, unstrapped my board and walked.......all the way to the bottom.  My Dad and Grandfather were waiting for us there, so I thanked Soren and took a picture with him and my siblings, then went strait up to the condo.  My Mom went with me and I told her what happened.  I cried all over again.  She tried to comfort me then called my Dad and had him take my to the ER.

We got there, I got looked at, took an x-ray and waited in a huge room, divided with curtains.  When the doctor came in, he showed us the x-ray and explained that I had a "buckle-fracture of my distal radius".  Then one of the nurses came in and put a cast on my arm : ( .

Well, that's the story.........Ouch.  I guess it could've been worse.  Anyways, here are some pictures from the trip:



Getting ready to hit the "slopes":





Me, at the bottom of the mountain, before we went on the ski lift:




Me, in the ER, right before getting my cast on:



Getting my cast on:




Me and my parents, right after getting my cast:




My snowboard instructor, Soren, who came to the ER to see me:


My cast up close: